Saturday, November 26, 2011

Random thoughts on a Friday night

Tough decision to make. Momentary pleasures or eternal pleasures? To resist or to give in? The psalmist David said twice in his uber cool book of prophetic psalms that there would be eternal pleasures at Your right hand forevermore - I suppose he knew what he was going on about. Tough, tough, decision. I shrugged my shoulders and thought what the heck. You're worth it. I chose eternity.

Things that make life seem hard. Sometimes I wonder a lot why things happen. Where's the justice that God seems to go on so much about? Hard times get harder. But I realise God's ways are eternally higher. There wouldn't be much sense in believing in a God I could understand - I've realised that if a god were to be like me, that would be a pretty screwed up god. I'm going for the God that is ridiculously mysterious in His ways, yet has proven Himself much too real for me to disbelieve. We go through things for a reason. Cliche and overused, but it rings through. We'll look back a few years from now and see that what we had to go through was essential for us to get to where we are and to lead us in His will. The spark of interest in medical nutrition and eating disorders would never have been ignited if I hadn't gone through my own period of struggle with food and body image. The compassion for the hurting would never have been there if I hadn't gone through hurting myself. The belief and faith in God wouldn't have been there if I hadn't wrestled first with my own disbelief and doubts and finally let God prove Himself to me.

We'd never have been ready for what God had planned for us if we hadn't gone through whatever it was we went through. We'll never be ready for what God has planned for us if we don't go through whatever it is we'll go through. Think of where you are now and how you got there - Think of how going through tough times shaped you. Now think about where you'll be in, say, 5 years. Can't imagine? That's great. Because you don't know, but God does. And I think we all know pretty well that He knows what He's doing.

2 comments:

Jarod Yong said...

Believe me. God knows what He's doing.
It's in the hardest moments in life that you grow & if you follow Him, you will face A LOT of such moments.
Such is His love.
hahaha~~

Hannah Banana said...

That's true :D such is His love! I suppose those moments are what you call growth spurts, in a way:p they hurt but you grow.