Monday, November 21, 2011

Perfect Peace

"I will give you perfect peace if you will stay your mind on Me."
-Isaiah 26:3, my paraphrase

The door had just closed behind Wade . . . the last one to leave with his lunch sack under his arm. Bill was gone. Even Esther, our dog, was outside. And I was getting ready for another big round of depression. I had made it through breakfast and fixing lunches, but now that I was alone I was going under . . . fast.

I had been pacing the house and was walking down the hallway when, in utter frustration, I stopped, made a fist, and shook it in Gods general direction. (I'm confident He was very impressed.)

God! You have promised me peace, and I don't have it! I am an emotional basket case. My insides are churning. My hands are trembling. My thoughts are so confused that I don't know whether I'm coming or going. Theres a lump in my throat that just stays there. I am hurting so badly, and I certainly don't have any semblance of peace! My world is completely haywire! Why, Lord, why?

And it was almost like He whispered to me . . .

"Anabel, what are you setting your mind on? What are you thinking about?"

* * *

How many times have you accused Him of being the reason for your problem, for not coming through on His end of the bargain? No. You must understand that He never promised an unconditional peace. It comes with instructions: I will give you peace if you will stay your mind on Me.

I guess I'm a slow learner, Lord. I still think of peace as freedom from problems. No. Thats not it, is it? Peace is resting in You. Peace is knowing You can face the day through me.

Regardless.

I remember, Lord, when I used to wake up and say, "My God! Another day! How can I possibly get through it?" It's different now.

Oh, I still wake up and call on You, but I say,
"My precious God. Thank You that You are
going to meet today for me."
Thats peace. Perfect peace.
I pray that this thought will cause you to rest more
completely in His arms today.


Lifetime Daily Devotions, day 64

3 comments:

Jarod Yong said...

As we grow older we gain confidence & also stubbornness.
Sometimes we forget to prayerfully lean on the Lord & not on our own strength.
Something I have to keep reminding myself every once in a while. =)

Funmilayo said...

Great verse and post .

Hannah Banana said...

ah^kam_koko' - Yeah :) It's always really good to be reminded, wherever and whenever! God is our strong tower and refuge.

Funmilayo I. - Thanks, love! Amazing fashion inspiration blog by the way! God bless :)