Saturday, October 22, 2011

Psalms 101:2 "I will ponder the way that is blameless. Oh when will You come to me? I will walk with integrity of heart within my house"

"The truest measure of a person's spiritual health is taken in the home. We can be a spiritual superstar at our work, in our community, at school, and even in our church... But it's who we are at home that tells the real story of who we are.

Home is where we tend to close the door and surround ourselves with people we aren't compelled to impress. Home is where we feel we can let our guard down and take all the filters off. Home is the place where the real us finally emerges, shedding the skin of who we portray ourselves to be... And quite often, there's a dramatic difference between the two.

The Psalmist wrote that he would walk in his house with a perfect (or upright) heart. Can we say the same thing? Is our commitment to the things of God the same at home as it is elsewhere? Do our personal lives reflect the same devotion and obedience as our public lives? Does grace continue to be the overriding principle in what we do and say to others once we've shut the front door? Are we honoring our spouse, children, and parents in the way the Lord calls us to?

If not, why not make it so? Why don't we determine to burn brightest in our passion for Jesus at home? Whether we're single, married, with or without children... Why not invest our best in the place that reveals and defines us most clearly? For when we're right with God at home, we'll be right outside of it.

Lord, bring a spiritual revival to our homes. Make us into men and women who honor You there first and foremost. Build families that are solid and burn bright for You, and don't let us ever forget that it's who we are at home that's who we really are.

The truest measure of a person's spiritual health is taken in the home. We can be a spiritual superstar at our work, in our community, at school, and even in our church... But it's who we are at home that tells the real story of who we are."


I read this note one day while I was reading through the Bible notes written by other people on the YouVersion application and it struck something in my heart - this is so true. When we are at home, we are surrounded by the people that we've grown up with, that has known our character since young, and we don't have the need to impress our family members. Home is where we throw off all that we try to portray to the world and become our true self! So how exactly do we act at home?

Here are some questions I asked myself.
1. Am I obedient to my parents just as the Word commands, or am I rude, disobedient, careless, disrespectful towards them?
2. Am I loving, caring and willing to do all things in love for my family members - Or only just to those outside my family?
3. Are my words at home reflective of my words outside the home, when I am in church or with church members?
4. Am I patient, respectful, willing to offer even my 'other cheek' when I am being 'slapped' by my family members - Or does that rule only apply to those outside my family?

All actions start from the heart - and remember the saying, "Home is where the heart is"? ;) have a blessed week!

No comments: