Thursday, September 8, 2011

I've been getting back my mid-term exam results this week, and God has just really been so faithful. Once again, His blessings just shines through in my studies. Its not amazing results, but so much better than what I expected from only managing to study a week before exams. Truth is, no matter what people seem to think, I'm not that kind of person that doesn't need to listen in class and not do my homework and not study to get great results. I actually really, really, really need to push myself to study and focus just to achieve decent grades......... By my own strength, that is. But it doesn't have to be that way.

We've got a great God that desires us to have good things, do you know that? Maybe you know that, but do you really believe it in your life? Studying has always been a problem for me because I'm pretty lazy and I procrastinate. A lot. Which is bad because, "Those too lazy to plow in the right season will have no food at the harvest." (Proverbs 20:4). So I end up studying last minute and stressing out, staying up real late at night to finish studying topics, and then I get really sick after the exams. But that was when I did things by my own strength.

Now I've found, its a lot less stressful to study when I'm trusting in God to lead me to the right topics. I'm sure we've all at some point gone to some silly seminar on "How to Study" or "Effective tips to achieving good results in exams" or something like that. Most of the time, there'll be advice to 'pray before you study'. Maybe some of us tried it and it didn't work (Those darned D's keep popping up in the report card) and so, we come to the conclusion... Prayer might work for life-threatening situations or whenever we need God, but not studies. Problems, of course, anything but studies, doh.

Actually, prayer does work. Prayer works when you... believe. Faith and a belief that my simple prayer to bless my studies will be answered because it is actually heard by a living God that doesn't just sit in Heaven and hand-pick 'important' prayers to answer because 'the studies of My children aren't important enough to bless'. Nope. Studies are a major part of a students life. If its a major part of your life, you can bet He's interested. Before I open my textbook to study, no matter how last minute or stressed out I am or how I really really really can't lose any more time to finish memorising one million chapters of Sejarah - I pray. (starting to sound a lil' like Justin Bieber here ha-ha)

God, I know I'm praying this prayer again. I know I told you during the last exam that I wouldn't put off studying till the last minute for the upcoming exam.... but I did. I'm sorry God, but you know I really need Your help once again! I can't do this on my own, and I know You're the God of infinite knowledge and You know everything, even the exam questions... Ahem, but I'm not asking You to reveal the exam questions to me. Ahem. God, will you please lead me to learn the right things when I study, to remember the important parts and the understand all that I read? Please bless my studies, and I know I will be blessed because all good things come from Your hand. Thank You, Father, amen.

Believing is a huge part of trusting in God to pull me through my studies. In all honesty, I achieve good results not because of my brains or strength or huge efforts to study or whatever preconceived idea of what a smart student has, but the results of my studies are truly a blessing from God and the answers to prayers. Not by my own strength, I am as normal as any other student in class, but the fact that I have a loving Father going before me. :)

Trusting God with my studies has surprisingly taught me to trust God in other areas of my life. My thinking goes, if God who is so Big and Great can care about me enough to take an interest and help me in my studies, then He's also faithful about other matters in my life. Be blessed! :)


"Yet I am confident I will see the LORD's goodness while I am here in the land of the living." -Psalms 27:31

"O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusts in Him!" -Psalms 34:8

No comments: