Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Jeremiah 1:4-5

The Word of the Lord came to me (Jeremiah), saying,
"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you,
before you were born, I set you apart;
I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."
Wow. Just, wow. Take the distresses and cares of this life off, and place them into His hands. Push away distractions and worries. Can you imagine the Lord Himself saying this to you? Quieten your heart and listen to His gentle yet firm words whispering;

"... Before I formed you, I knew you."

He knew us. Even before our first breath - even before we were little cells dividing. Can your hearts grasp that breathtaking realisation?

We are not a mistake.
We are not accidents.
We are not unknown,
not insignificant,
not rejected.

"... Before you were born, I set you apart."

We are known, beloved. We are created for a purpose - chosen, set apart, loved.

Do we know that? Do I know that? That I am not simply the outcome of a biological reaction, but the decision of an amazing Maker; He knew me even before I knew myself. He was there, He is here, He will be throughout.

It shocks me, stuns me, floors me. I am humbled and my heart... My heart is overwhelmed. Ovewhelmed and overtaken by the revelation that before existing, He knew me, inside and out.

I close my eyes. Aware of all my being - this heart that beats and blood that flows. I draw in a slow breath, feeling my lungs expand, and it becomes almost painfully aware to me that the breath I breathe - they are not my own. When the life I live, I live owing to my Lord who chose me and set me apart.

Who chose you and set you apart.
Even before you were in the womb.

Set apart to do His work. Even before we could comprehend our first thought.

My desires and dreams -
Longings and hopes -
Plans for my life -

He has secured and placed in me, working all things out for my own good. For His glory.

Even before I knew myself, He knew me.
Even before I was born, He set the plans for my life.

Even before receiving His beautiful mercy, He died for me.

No comments: