Sunday, March 27, 2011

The bad mindset of being unable to love people disappears when you realize that Love is who you are. The bad habit of responding in anger crumbles when you realize that your nature is to be patient (Gal 5:22). Now, love and patience are natural outflows rather than forced behaviors.

You were living in fear but then you realize it’s your nature to be bold (Prov 28:1). You don’t feel like you’re capable of transforming the world around you and then you realize that it’s your nature to be leaven. You were stuck in anxiety and worry and then you realize that it’s your nature to have peace (Isaiah 26:3, Rom 14:17, Isaiah 9:6). You were stuck in depression and then you realize it’s a lie because that “old man” died and the new man’s nature is joy (Rom 14:17, John 15:11).

I don’t need to try to be holy, I need to understand it’s already in my nature to be holy (2 Cor. 5:21). I don’t need to try to be bold, it’s who I am. I don’t have to try to be patient, it’s who I am. I don’t need to try to get out of depression, it is my nature to be joy. I don’t need to try to be less pessimistic, I live and breathe hope.

It’s not that I’m ignorant of the fact that I used to try and fail, it’s discovering that in Christ, I have a new predisposition to be everything I used to try to become.

No comments: