Sunday, October 10, 2010

I've been going through the book of Ezekiel the past few weeks, and i have to say that it is probably the most difficult book in the Bible to read - at least it is for me, so far. its full of symbolism, prophecies, visions and deeper meanings about the tribes and sin and the Law and all that, which i just really cannot catch. its difficult to comprehend what it means altogether and even more difficult to understand why God was doing the things He was doing. Throughout the book of Ezekiel, He's just unleashing His anger and wrath for all the unlawful things that the people were doing. He even caused Ezekiel's wife to die as a symbol for the things that were to come to the sinful people in jerusalem. And throughout all this, I'm just thinking, God where are you? why are you doing this? I thought you were a loving merciful God?

And last night i was just reading it through, not really getting anything, when I arrived at Ezekiel chapter 34:15-16.

"I myself will tend my sheep and have them lie down," declares the Sovereign LORD. "I will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak, but the sleek and the strong I will destroy. I will shepherd the flock with justice."

And thats just it really. That entire chapter just encaptures God's pursuit for us - His pursuit for us is as vast, as wide and as endless as the heavens. What other God would have said, "I myself will search for my sheep and look after them."? (Ezekiel 34:11) I mean, He's a huge God! He created the entire universe and everything in it. He probably has a few hundred million things to do each millisecond, and He could have just easily commanded a few of His angels to search for the lost and bring back the strays. He wouldn't even have needed to lift a finger.

Its humbling to think that the God of the universe would actually know your name, would actually search after you to bring you back, would actually pursue you with His love. Thats like... I'm not even worthy for Him to die on the cross for. Not worthy of His love. And to keep rejecting His love - isn't that pride? Isn't that like saying to God, You're not worthy of MY love? You dying on the cross for me was nothing. I didn't need it. But throughout all our rejections and falling away, He kept pursuing us. Calling out to us. Now that's humbling.

I realise its not very faithful of me to keep questioning Him and the things He does in the Bible. Didn't He just state it right there? "I will shepherd My flock with justice"? - He's righteous and just in every aspect. Now it comes down to the faith that He will do whats right.

No comments: