Saturday, September 11, 2010

“It’s easy to think, ‘If I surrender this desire to Christ, He will eventually give it back to me. If I stay pure, then surely He will write a beautiful earthly love story for me and all my dreams will come true.’
But that’s not real surrender. When I laid down my dreams and desires at the feet of Jesus, I knew I could not hold on to any expectations. I didn’t have the assurance that one day He would write a beautiful love story for me. I couldn’t assume that an earthly prince was waiting in the wings for me.
Rather, I was to expect to be single - and to become fully content with singleness - unless at some point God made it clear that He had a different plan for me.
When I chose to live in purity “all the days of my life”, I wasn’t making a bargain with God: “I’ll stay pure, and in return I want You to write me a beautiful love story.” Rather, I chose a life of purity because I wanted to love and honor the Prince of my heart, Jesus Christ - even if He never blessed me with an earthly love story.
… Even though having the specific desires of our heart fulfilled is very often a by-product of surrender to Christ, it cannot be our reason for pouring out our all upon His precious feet. Our reason must be passionate love for Him, with no strings attached.”

(Leslie Ludy "Sacred Singleness")

No comments: